Staycation - Day 1 trail to Weston

So I decided to take off from work the week of Thanksgiving. Thursday and Friday were holidays anyway, so taking the first three days off means I had nine days off. With the latest addition to our family Maya, the golden retriever puppy who is now 11 weeks old and not allowed to fully mingle, we were not looking at going anywhere. We are staying home, sending children to school, and enjoying our time off work. 

I started off saying this is a period where I do nothing. No scheduled activities, will do what I feel like, and nothing that I don't feel like. Slowly the activity list started building up. Want to get back into routine on some things I have been a bit sloppy about - walking, strength training, protein intake, water consumption, sleep discipline etc. Read books. Watch movies, TV shows. Go to the movie hall and watch a movie without any research or expectation. Eat good food. Cook good food. Use the sunlight, go for trail walks. 

So, trail walks. Something I have grown to enjoy in this part of the country. The area is blessed with beautiful landscapes - hills, ponds and lakes, forests all in the same area, and within touching distance of civilization. I have done several trails over the last few months, and the furthest we drove to was 40 min away. I learnt that I love forests more than mountains, the climb to the summit is fine, but is not the highlight of the experience - flat terrain forests with some water body, especially flowing water, is my favorite kind of trail. 

With daylight savings going away, and days getting shorter, the sun sets before 4:30 pm, so we have a much smaller window to do the trails. 

Day 1: 

We had decided to do the trail at 3 pm, but by the time we actually moved on it it was almost 3:30. So we landed on a trail close by, the Weston Reservoir loop, in Weston next door. It was Maddy, Priya and I for this one. We reached at about 3:50 pm (sunset was projected for 4:20 pm) and it was a small 1.9mi loop, so we off went. It was an easy trail and by the time we walked back to the car it was already quite dark. We wanted to walk some more, so we walked up and down on the road before heading back home.


The trail took us on a loop around Weston Reservoir - it was a large and pretty still-water body. There was also a tiny stream flowing through the forest that we walked through. 
Customary us-sie during the trail. The other two were better prepared for the cold than I was, lesson learnt. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of newspapers

One year, and counting

Of award-winning books and movies